Sunday, September 9, 2012

July 2012 Editorial - Kids Say The Darndest Things!

Kids Say The Darndest Things! All of a sudden it feels like I have been plucked off from the intimidating conference rooms, and planted into a bright little kindergarten! Not sure if this is where I want to remain planted for the rest of my life, but I am surely having a ball with the cute little kiddies all around me! Well, my own amongst them are just two… … my two sons Shaurya and Vir! But they bring along so many kids into our home and thus in our lives, that currently my life is no less than a 24 hour playschool! It has been around six months that I am mostly in the company of kids, young and old. Courtesy my older son, who brings home all his friends to play, as if the newest addition to our family, my younger one is not enough, who is my loyal companion round the clock! With Vir coming in our lives, my life has sure taken a 360degrees turn. Now I don’t have to chase a Sales target, but I am chasing time, daily to complete my chores! No ruthless bosses around, but cute little angels (sometimes these angels also have small wicked thorns!) whose demands just don’t seem to get over even with the end of the day! Exhaustive excel sheets, and sales projections, have been replaced with innumerous diapers, baby food, toys, vaccination tracks, etc. My 9hrs of work time has suddenly been extended to 24 hours for which I am not even being paid a salary, forget the over time! But at the end of everything, like all moms say the clichéd line….. I see myself using the same line here… “What these twinkling, innocent, and smiling eyes convey to you each day is simply priceless!” Well, surely Vir has given me the opportunity once again to spend some quality time with my older son Shaurya too! But Shaurya need not use his twinkling mischievous eyes to convey his feelings, he can well express them through words, and at his age, kids say the funniest things with the most poker faces they can ever exhibit! His one liners just make this journey more joyous and fun. Here I share some of our conversations: Me: Shaurya do you want a baby sister or a baby brother? Shaurya: I only want a brother, no place for girls… If you get a girl, I will have to marry her when we grow up! Then sometimes they throw such questions which are very difficult to answer! Shaurya: Aai, when you were as old as me where was I? Me: You were a star! Shaurya: Then why couldn’t I see you as a baby when I was a star, the way I can see all stars from here? Then another touchy question….. Shaurya: Now are you my mother or Vir’s? Me: I am yours as well as Vir’s mother. Shaurya: Mom, if you have two babies, why can’t we have two mothers? (I wonder what his dad has to say about his son’s point of view) These are just a few of our weird conversations, but when I hear him speak with his cousins, they are even more hilarious! Shaurya: What happened to your great grandfather? Cousin: Aai said he has gone to heaven to meet GOD! Shaurya: Arre you don’t know what that means, it means he is dead! Cousin: I know that yaar, this is just what we should say, when someone dies! And here we are, Adults – who think we can fool these kids. But these kids are far smarter than we can imagine. Another funny conversation between Shaurya and his building friend: Friend: Who is this person sitting on your sofa? Shaurya: Hey! You don’t know? She is my mom! Friend: Arre I always thought NIKITA (my maid) was your mom, because she accompanies you every day in the evening when we play in the compound! What a transformation! From office politics, smart projections, and eternal chase of sales targets, here I am enjoying my kindergarten moments with my little ones. As much as I wish to get back to the grind, these moments will always be special. While we withstand the worst sarcasm from the board rooms, and gulp down the pressure of targets, our kids’ innocent one liners throw us completely off the track! Very often they casually speak the bitter truth which we as adults always know, but never want to confront. Their innocent questions and poker faced replies to our questions remind me of the once famous American comedy series hosted by Bill Cosby called “Kids Say The Darndest Things!” I always wondered what the word “Darndest” meant. Perhaps NOW I know the meaning of that word! As I leave, one last time, here I share some funny pearls of “laughter” I came across while surfing the internet. A small boy is sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later..... 'Daad....' 'What?' 'I'm thirsty. Can you bring drink of water?' 'No, You had your chance. Lights out.' Five minutes later; 'Da-aaaad.....' 'WHAT?' 'I'm THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water??' I told you NO! If you ask again, I'll have to spank you!!' Five minutes later......'Daaaa-aaaad.....' 'WHAT!' 'When you come in to spank me, can you bring a drink of water?'

No comments:

Post a Comment